Global Xerostomia Treatment Market: Introduction
- Xerostomia is a condition resulting in dry mouth caused by the minimal amount or absence of saliva in the mouth. Xerostomia is not contemplated to be a disease, but is considered a symptom. Xerostomia can be caused due to radiation of the head or the neck, or as a side-effect of medications. Apart from the underlying disease as a cause, other causes for this condition exist. These include insufficient consumption of fluids, sleeping with open mouth, and weather conditions. Decreasing function of the salivary gland may or may not be the reason for development of xerostomia. This condition is most common in elderly people, due to high consumption of medications by them. It affects around 20% of the elderly people worldwide.
- Xerostomia involves difficulty in eating, speaking, swallowing, and in wearing dentures. A dew patient suffering from this condition also experience dysgeusia, glossodynia, and other dental complications. In order to determine the function of the salivary gland, several diagnostic and imaging tests such as sialometry, salivary flow measurement, and sialography are recommended. If the salivary flow rate is less than 0.1 Ml/minute, the condition is considered xerostomia.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Xerostomia Treatment Market
- Increase in the incidence of Sjogren’s syndrome and rising consumption of medications are major factors driving the global xerostomia treatment market. Moreover, growing geriatric population across the globe, increasing prevalence of chronic diseases, and rising awareness about the diagnosis of xerostomia are projected to propel the global market during the forecast period. Increase in the prevalence of diseases such as cancer, HIV, and Sjogren’s syndrome drives the demand for radiation and chemotherapy. Xerostomia is a side effect of these treatments. Chemotherapy makes saliva thicker, which results in dry mouth. However, it affects for a short period of 2–8 weeks.
- There exist certain challenges in the diagnosis of xerostomia, especially in developing counties. Moreover, ineffective treatment of xerostomia coupled with less attention toward symptoms by patients are a few other factors likely to restrain the global xerostomia treatment market in the next few years.
- As per the American Dental Association, the rate of prevalence of xerostomia in general population ranges from 0.9% to 64.8%, although the accuracy is compromised due to limited data. Severance of dry mouth results in deterioration of the patient’s health and quality of life. It often causes oral discomfort. As per the Association, the prevalence of xerostomia is considered 100% in patients with Sjogren’s syndrome or patients who have undergone the radiation therapy for head and neck cancer. As per updated research by the American College of Rheumatology, in 2019, Sjogren’s syndrome affected around 400,000 to 3.1 million adults globally. It was mostly diagnosed in people aged between 45 and 55 years.
North America to Lead Global Xerostomia Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global xerostomia treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global market in 2018 and the trend is projected to continue during the forecast period. This is attributable to increase in the incidence of xerostomia led by rising prevalence of chronic diseases such as cancer, HIV, and Sjogren’s syndrome. Rising consumption of medications and growing geriatric population including aging baby boomers in the region are other factors driving the xerostomia treatment market in North America. Rise in awareness about causes and symptoms of xerostomia, surge in health care expenditure, increase in the rate of diagnosis of the syndrome, and availability of advanced health care facilities in the region are also anticipated to boost the xerostomia treatment market in North America in the near future.
- Europe held the second-largest share of the global xerostomia treatment market in 2018. Growing prevalence of chronic diseases, increasing geriatric population, and rising awareness about xerostomia symptoms and its treatment are some of the factors fueling the market in the region. Asia Pacific is projected to be the most rapidly expanding market for xerostomia treatment during the forecast period, owing to increase in the diagnosis of xerostomia and rising geriatric population in the region.
For More Details, Request A PDF Brochure Report @ https://www.transparencymarketresearch.com/sample/sample.php?flag=B&rep_id=75397
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Xerostomia Treatment Market
The global xerostomia treatment market is consolidated, with only a small number of players offering treatments for xerostomia. Key players offering xerostomia treatments are:
- Eisai Co., Ltd
- EUSA Pharma
- Colgate-Palmolive Company
- Forward Science
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Mission Pharmacal Company
- OraHealth Inc. (OraCoat.com)
- OraPharma, Inc. (Bausch Health Companies Inc. or its affiliates)
- Parnell Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Saliwell Ltd
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited
Global Xerostomia Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Xerostomia Treatment Market, by Product
- Artificial Saliva
- Salivary Stimulants
- Saliva Substitutes
- Salivary Pens
Global Xerostomia Treatment Market, by Indication
- Sjogren’s Syndrome
Global Xerostomia Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Xerostomia Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa