Are you looking to relocate your family to Thailand but you can’t quite decide which location is best suited to your children? For example, if Bangkok feels a little too hectic, but a tropical island may otherwise be a little too boring, how can you find the ideal ‘happy-medium’ between the two?
In this article we’re going to look at Khon Kaen in Isan. Is it suitable for expat families with children? Would it provide the perfect balance of city life with plenty of countryside and nature to enjoy? Read on and we’ll tell you everything you need to know…
Is Khon Kaen suitable for expat families with small children?
The short answer is yes. In fact, many people believe the likes of Khon Kaen to be even more suitable. For example, Bangkok is simply too much for some families. If you aren’t used to the big city lifestyle, Bangkok is a very overwhelming place to live. Some children may not adapt so well and feel uncomfortable. However, in a quieter place like Khon Kaen where things are a little more laid back, it can be much better suited to others.
That’s not to say that Bangkok isn’t right for expat families and children. If you aren’t sure, go there on a family holiday and see how your children take to it. If they love the hustle and bustle and don’t seem to phased, then it may be worth considering.
What makes Khon Kaen an attractive expat destination?
So, aside from being the ideal balance between a hectic capital city and a quiet tropical island, what else does Khon Kaen have to offer expat families?
- Education: if you are worried about Bangkok being the only location with suitable education facilities, or indeed you don’t feel confident about your children studying abroad, you can rest assured that Khon Kaen has some excellent international schools!
- Nature: Unlike Bangkok, Khon Kaen has plenty of surrounding greenery. If you and your family love hiking and exploring the great outdoors, you’ll feel more at home in Khon Kaen.
- Infrastructure: While Bangkok is certainly unrivalled, Khon Kaen does have excellent infrastructure. You’ll be able to find plenty of foreign food and European offerings for a taste of home.
- Language: Some people favour places like Khon Kaen because the level of English isn’t quite so good as Bangkok. In other words, you may be able to get by with some English, but you and your family will need to put more effort into learning Thai in order to get by, which can be highly rewarding – particularly for your children.
- Property: Yes, Bangkok certainly has far more opportunity in the way of property, however, there’re some amazing Khon Kaen condos for sale as well if you know where to look.
- Authenticity: Khon Kaen offers a unique look into the wonderful Thai culture and way of life. If you’d like to get to know the locals and raise your children in a quiet, laid back location, you can’t go wrong with Khon Kaen.