Let’s take a moment to appreciate how much we use cakes in our lives. You have wedding cakes, tea cakes, birthday cakes, anniversary cakes, and on and on. It seems to be an unwritten rule that almost any special occasion is to be marked with the cutting of the cake. With the birth of online courier delivering services, you can now even order cakes online. You can simply online cake delivery in Bombay or online cake delivery in Surat or whatever city you live in and a bunch of websites will pop up! But, before that let us go through the history of this wonderful dessert as well as what you can do when you have leftover cakes.
History of cakes:
Cakes have undergone a ton of changes over the past years. It is said that the cakes our ancestors used to were nothing like the lavish ones we used today. They often resembled bread and were sweetened with just honey. The pioneers of modern baking were said to be ancient Egyptians. The invention of the oven is said to have modernized the baking industry and the first “modern cakes” were baked in the 17th century. These cakes were a far cry to the sweetened bread eaten by our ancestors and were the first to have icing on top.
Creative ways to use leftover cakes:
It is said that you can make a meal out of almost any leftover. Whether it be rice or vegetables or sausages or even cakes! Let’s take a look at some of the absolute best ways to ensure that leftover cake does not go to waste:
- Cake pops: One of the simplest desserts you can make. All you have to do is mold the cake into a ball and mix it with some buttercream. Top it off with some icing or chocolate and you have your cute little cake pop.
- French toast…but it’s cake french toast instead: This is identical to using bread to make toast. Just cut the cake into several slices and mix with egg batter. Toast the mixture until you get burnt around the edges and voila!
- Cake and ice: Another extremely easy DIY dessert. All you have to do is add leftover cake pieces or crumbs on top of readymade ice-cream and you’ve got yourself a delicious mix.
- Cake milkshake: It might not sound appetizing at first but mix up those cake crumbs with sugar, milk, and a little ice cream and you’ve got yourself a delicious homemade milkshake that’s also quite cheap!
- Brownie and cake: Similar to cake and ice cream, you can toss in leftover cake crumbs to readymade or homemade brownies to enhance the taste
- Cake cookies: The next time you prepare dough to bake homemade chocolate chip cookies, just throw in leftover cake crumbs. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the results.
As you can see cakes can be used for more than just celebrating birthdays or weddings. They certainly are among the most versatile desserts out there.