Mined Anthracite Coal Market: Key Highlights
- The global mined anthracite coal market was valued at ~US$ 58 Bn in 2018, and is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~2% during the forecast period.
- The underground mining segment accounted for a major share of the global mined anthracite coal market in 2018, due to the depletion of near-surface reserves of anthracite coal. Investments in anthracite coal mining are rising at a substantial pace across the world.
- The standard grade segment held a prominent share of the global mined anthracite coal market in 2018. High energy density and carbon content and minimal impurities in comparison to other coal types are leading to the high demand for standard-grade anthracite coal.
- The mined anthracite coal market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a significant pace in the near future, due to the rise in mining activities in the region and increase in investments in anthracite coal mining in China and Vietnam.
Key Drivers of Global Mined Anthracite Coal Market
- Increase in steel demand from the industrial, infrastructure, and construction sectors is expected to drive the demand for mined anthracite coal during the forecast period. Steel manufacturers are ramping up their production to meet the rising steel demand. Steel manufacturing consumes anthracite coal as a key raw material. Steel manufacturers prefer anthracite coal over coke due to its lower price and similar carbon content, which makes the steel production process more economical and cost-effective.
- Rapid industrialization and urbanization, especially in developing economies such as India, China, and Brazil, are likely to boost the demand for steel across the globe in the next few years. Consequently, steel production in these countries has risen over the last few years. This, in turn, is boosting the demand for mined anthracite coal in these countries.
- Rising demand for power across the globe is projected to be another key driver of the global mined anthracite coal market during the forecast period. Even with rapid growth in renewable power generation, coal is a major power generation source across the world. Renewable energy being produced is still not sufficient to meet the increasing power demand. Power generation companies are trying to meet this rising demand by increasing the usage of coal.
Asia Pacific Leads Global Mined Anthracite Coal Market
- Asia Pacific held a major share of the global mined anthracite coal market in 2018. The mined anthracite coal market in the region is anticipated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period too. This is primarily attributable to the large production of anthracite coal in the region, led by countries such as China and Vietnam, which are the leading producers of anthracite coal, worldwide.
- Increasing demand for and production of steel, and rising power demand led by rapid industrialization, urbanization, and infrastructure development in Asia Pacific, especially in developing economies such as China and India, are driving the demand for mined anthracite coal in the region. This is encouraging anthracite coal mining countries such as Vietnam and Australia to increase their coal production.
Global Mined Anthracite Coal Market – Key Developments
- In July 2019, Siberian Coal Energy Company announced that it would be implementing a large-scale investment program for providing the Zarechny open-pit mine in Kuzbass with modern high-performance equipment. In 2018, the company invested US$ 17.4 Mn for the development of the Zarechny mine. The planned total investment of the company in this mine is expected to exceed US$ 38 Mn.
- In April 2019, Atrum Coal Ltd announced that CoalTech, DMT, and INCAR had completed coal quality and carbonization test work on the composite samples of Seam-1 and Seam-2 blends obtained through the ‘2018 Large Diameter Coring Program’, and that they had confirmed Tier-1 Hard Coking Coal (HCC) quality of the coal in the Elan South coal mine. The company expects the Elan South HCC to be comparable to, and highly competitive with, premium HCC exported from Canada and Australia.
- In June 2018, Zululand Anthracite Colliery (Pty) Ltd., a South Africa-based anthracite coal producer and exporter, planned to expand its mining operations and production facilities in the KwaZulu-Natal province of South Africa. The opened a new shaft at the end of 2018, bringing the total number of shafts to four, and to start operating a completely new mine near Vryheid. It also plans to add another mine to its portfolio in the province in the next two years.
Request A Sample of Mined Anthracite Coal Market – https://www.transparencymarketresearch.com/sample/sample.php?flag=S&rep_id=72829
Global Mined Anthracite Coal Market – Competition Landscape
- The global mined anthracite coal market is dominated by players based in Asia Pacific, primarily China and Vietnam.
- High capital investments and dominance of government-owned companies are some of the key factors hampering the global mined anthracite coal market. Government regulations regarding coal mining and coal usage are also affecting the competition in the global mined anthracite coal market.
- Prominent players operating in the global mined anthracite coal market are Shanxi Jincheng Anthracite Coal Mining Group Co., Ltd., Vinacomin, Glencore, Siberian Coal Energy Company, Feishang Anthracite Resources Limited, Sadovaya Group, Blaschak Coal Corporation, Reading Anthracite Coal, Atrum Coal NL, Celtic Energy Ltd, Jindal Steel & Power Ltd., and Zululand Anthracite Colliery (Pty) Ltd.